Saturday, December 10, 2011

Advent Calendar - Day 10

Today is the tenth day of the Blogtor Who Advent Calendar where each day, up until Christmas (it's the 25th, in case you're not religious and aren't aware), I'll be leaving a little treat for you (though you won't have to open a door to get it). Day 9 can be found HERE.


Included for your listening pleasure is the Blogtor Who audio commentaries for the Doctor Who 2005 finale, Bad Wolf and Parting of the Ways. Recorded by Cameron K McEwan and Alexander J McKinnon, the commentaries can be enjoyed whilst watching the story - though, that's not essential. Also featured on the podcast are some of your comments left here, on Twitter, and Facebook.



You can download the audio commentary directly HERE (BW) and HERE (PotW), subscribe on iTunes HERE or use the players below. We are now taking your opinions, questions and thoughts for the opening 2006 story, New Earth - leave them in the comments section below, on Facebook HERE, on Twitter HERE or email HERE.



Series One is currently being screened by UK digital channel, Watch - Sundays at 12pm (and at various points during the week). The whole series is available on Sky Plus Anytime.



RECENT POSTS
The Eternity Clock trailer
The Doctor, The Widow & the Wardrobe clips
BBC One Christmas Drama trailer
The Doctor, The Widow & the Wardrobe prequel
Boom Town audio commentary

5 comments:

Anermay said...

So can I just start by saying that listening to your commentary's have been a real treat! its been great to re-live the world of old 'new-who'. so here is my attempt to get my opinion read out on one of your commentarys.

I had never known what Doctor Who was when I watched the first episode of 2005, I had sat down with my Dad and brothers and I only wanted to watch the show to find out what the Daleks where, but buy the end of Episode 13, I knew that Doctor Who was my new favorite thing!
At the age of 12 Chris had cemented himself as the Doctor, the best present I got for Christmas that year was the TARDIS shaped DVD boxset (which I still own and adore). so how could anyone be better than MY Doctor.

My First reaction to David T at the End of 'Parting of the Ways' was "Oh he looks a'bit like that guy who does Top Gear" (I didnt watch much TV at the time, but now I realize he looks nothing like Richard Hamand).

I Loved the Christmas Invasion, but I still wasnt sure about this 'New Doctor' the only thing I did like was the reference to "Wanting to be Ginger" as a Ginger myself, this put a big grin on my face.

Fast forward to 'New Earth' a New Series of adventures, the return of more old enemys and a Robot Dog, it looked promising!
my 13 year-old self sat down to watch 'The New Guy'.
I didnt like it.

And now at the age of 19 Im able to understand why.
David and his performance where fine, but he was a bit too happy-clappy in that series as a hole, but he gives a somewhat solid performance.
I had a bit of a crush for Billy at this time, (I agree about those chipmunk cheeks!) so when Rose was taken over by Casandra and was bouncing around and 'checking herself out' I was enjoying Doctor Who for another reason... *cough*
To be honest all the performances where very good, and the scene at the end I now find somewhat touching.

I had/have a problem with the effect of the movement of the plague.
When someone is touched, they stand there for a good 5 seconds, look sort of scared and this slow effect of the boils grow across they're face, I didn't believe it then and I don't know.
I know it would be a hard thing to pull off at speed it seemed to produce a massive pause in the action and I was/ am completely removed from the world, and I was no longer Immersed in it.

Story Wise, its a pretty standard RTD story, lots of action, cheesy moments and silly things, its a good way to introduce a new Doctor, however it feels a little lack-luster.

I hope we return to 'New Earth' though, as I dont think they made the most of the setting (wink-wink, nudge-nudge)

so at the time I wasnt overly impressed, but I liked it enough to come back next week to give the 10th Doctor another go...

I hope this hasnt rambled on too long!)

Jon

Anonymous said...

Bit of Pat Joseph trivia - he genuinely was in the running for the Eleventh Doctor! An interviewer asked if there was any truth to the rumours. Paterson confirmed it. A lot of truth.

http://www.kasterborous.com/2010/02/paterson-joseph-on-those-who-rumours/

Original link's gone, but the transcript's faithful.

Cameron McEwan said...

Thanks for that!

danny said...

I was missing Chrisy E firts time I watched this and coundn't get into Davey T. It was only when I got the dvd I could appreciate his doctor. I liked the way the actors played cassandra and the face of boe teaser for next year.

MISTER-M said...

New Earth is often said to be a bit naff. but i dont think it is. I find some of it a bit sillyl mainly the body swap part, the the actual idea is quite good. maybe the delivery could have been done a bit better?